Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Macros-Target types

[target=xxx]

So what is it you want to target? With the targetting ability of macros, you can cast a spell, use an ability, fire a shot, or whatever at a predefined target without changing what you are currently targetting. I touched on this briefly with my trapping entry. By assinging a mob as my focus (using /assign focus), I am able to target this mob with macros, without losing my target on the current DPS target.
For example:

/cast [target=focus] Distracting Shot

This would cast distracting shot at my focus target, while not causing me to lose whatever target I have. This does two things for me, it allows me to maintain threat on my assigned trap mob incase the healer lands the OMGWTFBBQ crit heal while my mob is going from one trap to the next, also lets me do it in a way that prevents me from accidentally launching an Auto Shot into the mob while it is currently trapped (yes, because Distracting shot causes no damage, it is safe to use on CC'ed mobs), and I can do it all without spending time targetting my trapped mob, firing the shot, then retargetting the dps mob. Not bad for a pair of macros.

And now for the various types of targets that you can use. No this is not going to be a complete list, these are the ones that I find useful and have used/are using.

target
[target=target] this one is only useful if you have a pet and it is attacking something that you aren't. Otherwise, this one is assumed if there is no target definition. /cast Steady Shot is the same as /cast [target=target] Steady Shot.

targetlasttarget
I personally haven't used this one but I thought I would mention it, it will target the last target, friendly or hostile, that you had.

pet
Only time I use this is with Misdirection. Otherwise, everything else that I do to my pet is pet specific (Mend Pet, Feed Pet, etc.)

pettarget
Just like it sounds, this will target your pet's target. I use it when grinding/farming with the command startattack, that way, when one mob goes down, unless I have a specific kill order in mind, I just this macro and I'm on the mob that my pet is building threat on.
/startattack [target=pettarget]

focus
The CC target type. I already covered this one's use in that role. There are other ways to use focus but for me, focus makes chaintrapping so much easier and more effecient that I wouldn't want to tie up my focus target with anything else.

mouseover
Yes, you can target something just by hovering your mouse over it. This is how my squishy saver macro works.
/petattack [target=mouseover]
/cast [pet=boar] Charge (this one is a conditional, not a target)
/cast Intimidation
So I just have to run my mouse over a mob that is thumping on my healer, hit the hotkey, my pet will go over and attack it, if my pett is a boar, it will charge over, and I will cast Intimidation. Once again, without changing my current target.
Just make sure you assign this macro to a hotkey, it won't work if you move your mouse to a hotbar to click it :p


Do you cast Misdirection on your tank alot? If so, this one is definately for you.
/cast [target=JoeSnuffy] Misdirection
It's another one of those that makes things like misdirection much quicker, no major mouse movement, one click/button press, and you're done, I like this when running instances so I can start as many fights with a misdirect onto the tank as I can efficiently. And this only takes a minute to redo for every time you get a new tank.


An exceellent example of this target type aiding you is The Curator in Kara, As a hunter, it is my job to burn down the Astral Flares as fast as possible. And by spamming this macro after I kill each Flare, targetting the next one is easy.
/target Astral
/petattack
/startattack
OK, I'm sure you noticed that 1) I changed the format, there's no {} or = in the target macro, and 2) what if you have a toon named Astral in the raid.
For #1, this format will cause you to switch you target completely.
For #2, you could use this format
/target [target=Astral Flare]
/petattack
/startattack
Also, starting in patch 2.3, you will be able to use [targetexact=xxx] if there is a possibility of the macro targetting a raid member instead of your desired target.

No comments: